Contents (1989) for
by Tom Graves
(with editorial assistance by Cindy Pavlinac)
Note: about one-third through the first draft, I shelved this book-project ‘temporarily’ when I moved from California to Australia to Britain and back to Australia! The status of each chapter at that stage is shown after the chapter-title, in italic type, such as ‘[complete]‘.
- Prelude: How to use this book [complete]
- In which we first meet some models of the mind, laying open the labyrinthine layers of life and learning.
- 0: Ordinary Reality [text complete, no illustrations]
- In which we look at our ways of working on the world, and discover the common and confusing state of being stuck.
- 1: Applied Science [text complete, no illustrations]
- In which we use the obvious way to take control of what’s going on — but somehow succeed only in making matters worse.
- 2: Skills And Subjectivity [text complete, no illustrations]
- In which we try another way to understand skill, and once more find that the control we crave continues to elude us.
- 3: From Control To Chaos [notes only]
- In which we try the way we first started, and discover that it now fails to work at all — along with everything else.
- Interlude: Turning It Around [notes only]
- In which we recognise the rules of this murky maze of panic and paradox, and discover a way out by moving further in.
- 4: It’s Easier If You Care [notes only]
- In which we at first appear to have come to the heart of the matter, but discover we have come to a matter of the heart.
- 5: Doing No-Thing [notes only]
- In which we meditate upon matters of content and context, and pay precise attention to paradox.
- 6: A Balanced Mind [notes only]
- In which we reflect upon the mirrors of the mind, and learn to juggle with jokes and judgements.
- 7: What’s The Use? [notes only]
- In which we become more sure and certain as we play with paradox in practice — in a territory that is oddly familiar.
- Postlude: Beginner’s Mind [notes only]
- In which we discover that the end is also the beginning — but now seen from a more reflective point of view.
- Appendix A: A Glossary Of Terms
- Appendix B: Further Reading